Energy landscape is dramatically evolving worldwide, the markets and regulatory frameworks have to change accordingly. Any impactful reform is composed of policy, legal/regulatory, technical, and economic components, and involves coordination of different stakeholders.
Elia Grid International can support you to answer these challenges and develop your vision for market design and energy policy.
We help Elia Grid International’s clients in their unbundling and carve-out processes, in developing new tariffs, in setting up new market coupling frameworks or in designing long term market developments to support energy transition… Elia Grid International has developed first-hand experience in these tasks for its homebased system operator’s and for public authorities.
We offer tailor made and high quality studies, benchmarks, drafting of regulatory documents and agreements, roadmaps, analysis of processes on a large portfolio of products linked to regulation and market.
If you are want to study a market reform or a regulatory change, we account for the best practices at the global level as well as source from our first-hand experience as German and Belgian system operators. This unique combination enables us to develop the best tailored solutions for the specific problems encountered by our clients.
Our team can support regulatory authorities and market entities on the entire range of activities related on energy regulation and markets:
Energy industry structure : Structural reform and unbundling of the energy sector, reorganization of energy markets and of system operators and grid assets utilities, all require roadmaps, development of market models and processes to implement them in the involved companies. Having been active member of the European liberalization process, EGI can build with you on the lessons learned from this vast European experience
Energy Policy and Regulation : EGI has varied experience on support to give to authorities on policy challenges including integration of renewable energies, smart grid and storage strategy, emission reductions schemes… We drafted several regulatory and legislative documents in a variety of countries
Energy Market Design : it covers studies and implementation of all processes related to markets, especially on balancing, day-ahead, ancillary services, flexibility and storage, metering and settlement process… EGI’s team of experts has huge expertise on the best way to implement European energy packages, ENTSO-e grid codes, but also on management of data related to smart grids and data hubs
Financial Models : to allow financial sustainable regulatory models is critical for regulated entities. EGI can help you with his core expertise on financial assets management, remuneration models, set-up of wheeling and interconnection charges and pricing, financial incentives… Elia Grid International can help you to optimize a given regulatory framework or propose alternative regulatory models.
Regulatory management and implementation support : EGI experts share their daily experience on implementation of regulatory and legal standards, contractual schemes, commercial relations with customers and authorities…
As the energy landscape is evolving, the markets and regulatory frameworks have to change accordingly.
Elia Grid International can support you in navigating these challenges.
Market structure and Market design
The unbundling of the energy sector, the reorganization of energy markets or the restructuration of system operators and grid assets utilities, require new market structures. We can bring detailed analyses of models and processes.
Elia Grid International offers market products development, studies and implementation processes related to market set-up, data management, regional market coupling, interconnectors and advice in balancing market design and implementation. As Power System Operators are at the heart of the electricity system, they play an ever-increasing role in the development of local, regional and international power markets. Elia Grid International can help you in developing the necessary electricity and balancing market mechanism.
- Reorganization (liberalization) of energy markets: analysis and development of the regulatory framework, regulatory roadmaps, support to regulatory authorities
- Unbundling of the power sector: roadmaps, analysis of market models and processes, unbundling and carve-out of Transmission and Distribution companies
- Strategic planning, Restructuration of TSO / distribution companies
- Corporate governance and compliance
- Certification of TSO
- Market products development (e.g. Flexibility schemes, ancillary services, balancing design)
- Studies and implementation processes related to market set-up (e.g. balancing, day-ahead, commercial dispatching, metering process, settlement)
- Data management (e.g. REMIT, transparency, smart grids)
Elia Grid International can help you with the expertise in strategic planning, corporate governance and compliance.
- Regulatory models (e.g. remuneration models, interconnectors, RES support schemes)
- Regulatory roadmaps with regulators and stakeholders – stakeholders mapping
- Transparency – Grid users consultation process organization
- Draft of regulatory and legislative documents
- Principles and rules for granting grid third party access
- Organization of commercial relations with grid users
Tariffs – Remuneration scheme
Elia Grid International can advise you on Remuneration models and tariff designs for transmission and distribution companies, wheeling and interconnection tariffs and incentive regulation for transmission and distribution companies. Elia Grid International will help you to optimize within the given regulatory framework or propose alternative regulatory models.
Elia Grid International can support in the awarding of contracts such as market coupling agreements or Inter-TSO agreements.
- Connection, access agreements, PPAs, balancing responsible party terms & conditions, balancing service provider terms & conditions
- Long term market developments to support the energy transition
- Balancing market rules