Elia Grid International (EGI) offers consultancy and engineering services to a diverse and international client base in the power sector.
Based on innovative and proven expertise, combined with hands-on experience from our European Transmission Systems Operators (Elia in Belgium and 50Hertz in Germany), Elia Grid International is the trusted partner in delivering solutions for the challenges of the energy transition.
Our clients can rely on a team of experts who have developed valuable competencies within the Elia Group and also from international assignments for third parties.
Elia Grid International has offices in Brussels, Berlin, Dubai, Doha and Singapore.
Elia Grid International is seeking an HVDC Project Manager to be responsible for delivering expertise in all aspects of HVDC projects (with a focus on converter stations). As a project manager, you will be accountable for the delivery of the HVDC project scope, coordinating and directing the project team members and liaising with the lead project director. Your time will be split between being mobilized on international projects on a full-time basis and being stationed in our of our head offices in Europe. As a key expert, you will interact with our clients, partners and relevant departments within the Elia Group organization. You will support our clients in their project development efforts with a constant focus on quality and overall performance.
- Perform feasibility studies on proposed HVDC projects at various stages in the projects’ life cycle with a focus on technical feasibility, technological risk assessment, cost estimation and grid connection feasibility.
- Engage with clients to develop and determine the HVDC system’s design parameters and topology.
- Identify, assess and compare alternative solutions and provide advice on the best technical solutions for a specific project given the needs and objectives of the client and prevailing external factors.
- Develop and review functional specifications of HVDC systems with a focus on performance requirements tailored to the needs of a specific client and developed in such a way as to support fair competition and market innovation.
- Assist procurement experts and legal counsel in the development, implementation and execution of a viable procurement approach for HVDC projects that ensures open and fair competition, compliance with the client’s internal procedures and processes and adherence to the project’s specifications and requirements.
- Ability to lead all technical discussions and negotiations with manufacturers, suppliers and contractors during tendering and provide advice to the client on bid non-compliances, viable alternative solutions and scope gaps.
- Identify and manage key technical interfaces between the HVDC system, its constituent components and other installations such as grid connections, overhead lines and underground cables throughout all phases of the project.
- Design assurance throughout all stages of the project.
- Design review and compliance control throughout all stages of the project.
- Manage and collaborate with a system studies engineer to assess the performance of HVDC systems and their impact on transmission grids.
- Quality assurance and whole life cycle quality management.
- Engage with clients, manufacturers, supplies and contractors to e nsure that the system’s overall design and performance is fully compatible with the expectations of the client.
- Advice on overall system design and adoption of mechanisms to track, monitor and approve design changes in a highly controlled manner.
- Identify, document, implement and monitor lessons learned and improvements across all phases of the project.
- Ensure adherence to and compliance with the client’s expectations, requirements, policies and processes throughout all phases of the project.
- Accountable for the effective delivery of the assigned tasks and deliverables of the project on schedule, within budget and at the required level of quality.
- Manage scope changes in a systematic and controlled manner, assess their impact on project scope, schedule, budget and risks and adopt appropriate approval procedures.
- Lead the project team and ensures coordination with key stakeholders such as partners, other consultants, the client, manufacturers, supplies, contractors, regulators and governmental officials.
- Undertake site visits/surveys as required as part of the design activities or as part of site support activities.
- Ensure risks are proactively identified, assessed and managed to avoid adverse impacts on the project.
- Engage in client interface management and day to day coordination.
- Engage in stakeholder identification, management and communication.
- Participate in commercial discussions with clients in coordination with the Project Director.
- Prepare project reports to the customer in coordination with the Project Director.
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering and a minimum of ten years of previous experience in a similar position (HVAC substation and associated transmission line projects).
- Prior experience with HVDC systems (preferably VSC) at transmission voltage levels up to 500kV.
- Prior experience in working for a transmission utility contractor consultant.
- Specific knowledge of HVDC transmission technologies and a thorough understanding of how these technologies influence the operation and performance of a transmission system.
- Proven technical capabilities associated with the design, configuration, manufacture, installation and commissioning and testing of HVDC systems (converter stations)
- Proven ability to work with internal and external parties, e.g. equipment suppliers, manufacturers, service providers
- Proven ability to work on complex technical projects as well as leading multidisciplinary and culturally varied teams in international projects as a project manager or project director
- Proven ability to communicate complex technical or commercial issues to peers, clients and senior managers.
- Proven ability to advise clients (TSOs) and project financiers (development banks) on technical, management and procurement aspects during the project execution
- Capability to engage and establish credibility with senior stakeholders
- Fluency in English, both in writing and speaking, is a must. Knowledge of German or French mandatory. Dutch, Arabic and/or any other languages would be an asset
- Creative, proactive, client-oriented, result-driven, autonomous
- Mobility and flexibility, willing to travel abroad or become an expat for a 2 to 5 year mission depending on project needs
- Prior knowledge in offshore projects and marine works is an asset
- Prior knowledge with EU tendering procedures, international bank-financed projects and standard EPC contracts such as for example FIDIC is an asset
More than offering you a job, we promise you an exciting, professional and international environment in a fast-growing company with unique training and personal development opportunities that will boost your career and transform you into a world-leading power expert. On top of that, we offer a comprehensive compensation package with an attractive salary and an extensive array of fringe benefits.
Frequent travelling to client sites in regions of activity
Please send your application in English incl. motivation letter and salary expectation.